September is the time of year in DC when several neighborhood festivals are held and Southwest will be hosting the third annual SW ArtsFest on Saturday, September 28. This year's theme is "Breaking New Ground" and the festival will include 10 venues throughout Southwest from 10 am to 11pm. All events are free except for a wine tasting event at Station 4. See below for a list of venues that correspond to the above map.
- Central Market (Grassy lot in front of Safeway – 4th and M streets) will have arts, crafts, food, exhibitors, interactive activities and live entertainment.
- Hand Dancing and Theater Tours (Arena Stage – 1101 6th Street) will include a panel discussion on The History of Lindy Hop and Hand Dance followed by hand dancing performances and workshops. There will also be guided tours of Arena Stage.
- SW Film Series, Performance Art & Yard Sale (Christ United Methodist Church – 900 4th Street) includes a feature film that explores the history of Southwest. In addition, there will be a performance art concert and a yard sale.
- Neighborhood Walking Tours (Waterfront Metro plaza – 4th and M streets) highlighting the following themes: Renewing Urban Renewal and Southwest Waterfront: From Watermen to Wreckers to “The Wharf.” Each tour will last 90 minutes each.
- Let’s Paint at the Duck Pond! (SW Duck Pond – 6th and I streets) Watercolor lessons and face painting for elementary school-aged children.
- Annual End of Summer Fair (St. Augustine’s Episcopal Church – 600 M Street) will include live music, arts & crafts, moon bounce & cupcake decorating. There will also be baked goods and other items for sale. Redskins tickets and other prizes will be offered at a raffle.
- Blues and Blowfish (7th Street Landing – 7th and Water streets) will include live blues and the ability to create blowfish as a work of art. Food and beverages will be available for sale.
- Virginia Wine Tasting (Station 4 - 1101 4th Street) will be held every half hour beginning at 11am. Seats are limited and registration is required.
- 12th Annual DC Jazz Preservation Festival (Westminster Church – 400 I Street) where crafts and food will be for sale.
- G40 Art Summit (Blind Whino SW Arts Club – 700 Delaware Avenue) will have 300+ pieces of art on display, along with live music and painting stations for all ages.
For more information about SW ArtsFest, check out their website.