- According to DCist, the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2011 will be held at West Potomac Park. From the post:
The event used to be held between the Capitol and the Washington Monument, but the National Park Service had concerns about the impact the event had on the grass, so an alternative location was found. At one point, National Harbor in Maryland was considered, but ultimately a location near its original home was chosen.The letter states that "the event will be held on the peninsula just south of the new Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial which is between the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial and the Potomac River." The event will take place in September or October, though exact dates have not yet been determined. Decathletes were reportedly informed this afternoon about the location decision.
- Arena Stage released its schedule for the 2011-2012 season. Check out the list of 11 shows here. In addition, Rodgers & Hammerstein's Oklahoma! will return this summer for a second run from July 8 - October 2. According to the press release, the following records were broken by the musical last year:
- Highest single-ticket sales for a production by opening night. By opening night, Arena Stage had 54% more in advanced single-ticket revenue than the previous record holder, the 2010 production of Duke Ellington’s Sophisticated Ladies.
- Highest single-ticket sales for a single production in a 24-hour period, surpassing Molly Smith’s 2002 production of South Pacific by a 50% increase in revenue.
- Highest-grossing, non-extension production in Arena Stage history. Previously held by the 2010 production of Duke Ellington’s Sophisticated Ladies, the record for the highest single-ticket sales for a non-extension run was exceeded by more than $100,000 by opening night.
- Highest single-ticket sales for a single production in one week. Oklahoma! broke this record twice; first during the week of November 1-7, 2010, when Arena Stage surpassed the previous record set by Duke Ellington’s Sophisticated Ladies by selling more than 4,000 tickets, and then again the following week, when Arena Stage sold nearly 6,000 tickets.