Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Monday, October 26, 2009
The memorial is planned for a four-acre crescent-shaped site amid the cherry blossoms on the northwest shore of the Tidal Basin. The centerpiece is to be a 2 1/2 -story granite sculpture of the slain civil rights leader. Called the Stone of Hope, it depicts King standing with his arms folded as if emerging from the stone. At 28 feet, it will be eight feet taller than the statue of Abraham Lincoln in the memorial to the 16th president and will rest on pilings driven as far as 50 feet down to bedrock.
Saturday, October 24, 2009
- Francis Scott Key Bridge
- Canal Road, NW from M Street to Reservoir Road
- Reservoir Road, NW from MacArthur Blvd. to Canal Road
- MacArthur Blvd., NW from Foxhall Road to Reservoir Road
- Foxhall Road, NW from Canal Road to MacArthur Blvd.
- M Street, NW from Canal Road to Wisconsin Avenue
- Wisconsin Ave, NW from M Street to K Street
- K Street, NW from Wisconsin Avenue to Rock Creek and Potomac Pkwy.
- Rock Creek and Potomac Pkwy., NW from K Street to Independence Ave.
- Memorial Bridge
- West Potomac Park
- East Potomac Park (Access to Golf Course and Tennis Courts will be Available)
- Maine Avenue, SW from East Basin Drive to Independence Avenue
- Independence Avenue, SW from Maine Avenue to Ohio Drive
- Ohio Drive, SW between Independence Avenue and Lincoln Circle
- Lincoln Circle from Ohio Drive, SW to Henry Bacon Drive, NW
- 23rd Street, NW from Lincoln Circle to Constitution Avenue
- Constitution Avenue, NW from Henry Bacon Drive to 15th Street
- 15th Street from Constitution Avenue, NW to Independence Avenue, SW
- 17th Street from Constitution Avenue, NW to Independence Avenue, SW
- Madison Drive, NW from 15th Street to 3rd Street
- 3rd Street, NW from Pennsylvania Ave, NW to Maryland Ave., SW
- Pennsylvania Avenue, NW from 3rd Street to E. Capitol Circle
- 1st Street from Pennsylvania Ave., NW to Maryland Ave., SW
- Maryland Avenue, SW from S. Capitol Circle to 3rd Street
- Jefferson Drive, SW from 3rd Street to 15th Street
- 14th Street, SW from Jefferson Drive to northbound HOV lanes
- HOV lanes from 14th Street, SW to HOV ramp at S. Eads Street
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Friday, October 16, 2009
Thursday, October 15, 2009
The project will make the bridge safer and more aesthetically pleasing. The concrete bridge deck on the 9th Street Bridge will be replaced, including a new walkway and staircase to Frontage Road at L’Enfant Plaza. The work will also include the replacement of the bridge bearings…new roadway lighting, milling and resurfacing of the approach pavement and re-painting the exterior girders on the bridges. DDOT will also repair the roof slab of a DC Water and Sewer Authority (WASA) pumping station that is beneath 9th Street.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Monday, October 12, 2009
But with the housing market being what it is, we are probably going to be a little patient on this one and not put it out on the street for bids until conditions improve.
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
(Left) This is the Roll Call room on the second floor, where officers gather to receive their orders. It still looks like a classroom.